Nintendo have posted a ‘handy’ video which explains the steps to transfer all your games and account details to a New 3DS. We make it easier.
Nintendo’s video, which appeared on their Youtube page recently, has a 16 step guide to transferring you Nintendo ID, software and other account details from an old 3DS to a New one, just in time for the New 3DS to hit the shops.
However, it’s slightly more complicated due to the fact that the New 3DS uses a Micro SD card (those tiny ones) rather than the larger SD cards from the current line up of 3DS and 2DS consoles.
If you have only used a 2GB or 4GB card that came with one of the older consoles and have never changed the card then you can skip most of this process.
For those who have a 2GB or 4GB card:
1. Go to the HOME menu, select SYSTEM SETTINGS, OTHER SETTINGS and then SYSTEM TRANSFER
2. On both systems select TRANSFER FROM A SYSTEM IN THE NINTENDO 3DS FAMILY
3. Select SEND FROM THIS SYSTEM on your old (current) 3DS and RECEIVE FROM NINTENDO 3DS on your new device, then follow the prompts until the blue TRANSFER button appears.
4. Once you press the button, choose DELETE on the new system and wait for this to finish then NEXT.
5. Select No from the next menu.
6. When the old system asks you if you are using an SD card, select YES.
7. Select WIRELESS TRANSFER and follow the prompts on each system.
8. That’s it, everything should be moved to the new console.
It’s even quicker for those who have a Micro SD card (using an adaptor) in their old system. At step 6 of our above list, just choose NO and then continue. The software will just transfer over your details and then you can remove the memory card and place it in the new system.
Don’t forget that if you want to open the new 3DS memory card slot, you’ll need a cross-head (Philips) screwdriver.